Tuesday, May 17, 2016
What a relief. Now we have a small pile of woodchips. (funny how little woodchips a huge mass of tree branches actually creates)
So a garden update.
This year is the first year we are not gardening using strawbales. since they are $5-$10 per bale at 20 bales you can do the math on why we skipped them this year.
However I did build some raised garden beds. We have 1/3rd of our garden is rows of corn.. which was5 packets worth of corn seeds planted (to give you a rough estimate of size) about 1/2 to 1 foot apart. (will thin out as needed)
The smaller and first raised garden bed I built for the garden this year was strictly to transfer our strawberries out of the ground to a more weed and strawberry-spreading manageable location.
The frost this weekend only killed 1 plant.
Our Blueberries someone survived being eaten completly to near nothing by rabbits and we will actually get quite a few berries this year. But they are now protected from rabbits, so next year will be great.
The honeysuckle plant I planted in memory of my mom for the hummingbirds is doing great and I expect flowers soon.
Holly split a lot of plants from our perennial garden and redid the garden in front of the house (below our picture window) and completly finished that. and woodchipped and tidied up the perennial garden.
Last year I late in the season raised some milkweed from seeds. and doubted they would flower, but I transplanted them outside in the fall anyhow, just to get them out of the house since they were a lost cause. But i noticed this week they started growing and are about 3 inches tall... so that is exciting for my butterflies. I also removed all the non fruiting currants we had and planted a bunch more flowers for hummingbirds and butterflies. we will see how that works out. and last years butterfly/hummingbird garden i decided not to touch and just see what comes up. So far I recognize a lot of echinacea and bee balm for sure and have two butterfly flower plants for sure. so that is great as far as I am concerned.
We have not yet had bluebirds return to next this year, I am in hopes they will come to us for their second batch in later summer. Our house Wren is back for his third year and happy as can be, though his mulberry tree may not have survived the frost. (Luckily it survived my massive pruning prior to the frost) So we will see what happens there.
I took out about 1/3 of our apple trees to help with their health, i will have to do this again for the next 2 years before they become fully manageable. There was not much flowers on our haraldson, but the mcintosh had a bunch of flowers, hopfully they were pollinated this year. We have a bunch of smoking wood chips from the tree's we will see if they last the summer of grilling. (Plus I owe some to a few people)
All in all we have had a very productive spring, and still have an entire summer to go.
I hope the garden produces a lot. And I am in high hopes to get the pond finished being re-built this summer.
Saturday, October 10, 2015
|My First Dog Wolfie and I|
While I only ever had 1 dog myself, my aunt made up for it and had a number of dogs throughout my life growing up. A Great Dane once, Doberman once, and most memorably a German Shepherd named Bo. He didn’t really listen to anyone but me, and I rarely saw him, but he was my buddy. Until these last few years "Bo-dog" was my favorite dog ever.
|Me and Bear hiking in Duluth|
|(back to front) Luna - Neville|
|Bear and Luna|
|Bear and Neville|
|Calypso looking out the window from across the room.|
Thursday, July 30, 2015
As many of you know I run a podcast called the Side Project Podcast. Recently we have had some awesome special guests such as Keith Baker, Mike Selinker, Shane Hensley, and Ed Greenwood.
We also have awesome plans coming up for other guests and episodes. With this in mind I have revamped our website. It is very much like this blog... Please go and visit us at www.sideprojectpodcast.com and follow us there, subscribe on iTunes and rate/review us.
I would much appreciate it.
Wednesday, July 29, 2015
Friday, January 30, 2015
So perhaps there is more than one exception. 2015 brings the challenge of making life better. I have a lot of personal goals of improvement, including better health, eating, and exercise. I also hope to spend more time writing and more time doing things like hobbies. Yes, that means keeping up with this Blog as well as starting to work with My wife on her Blog she wanted to do called Twin Cities Food Safari, food reviewing blog for the Twin Cities Area. I hope you are all excited for it and this.
Also, I am excited to get back to spending time with friends, as well as getting back to some of the hobbies I once enjoyed, such as video games. ;-)
Oh, and our Podcast is doing well as well, check us out. Side Project Podcast. We have Facebook and Twitter. We also will be at the Gaming Convention called “Con of the North.” Check us out and interact with us!
Monday, April 14, 2014
Introverts generally recharge their batteries, deal with stress and sadness and issues with alone time, in the quiet, maybe reading a book or just chilling out in the back yard with no one around. Extroverts, need to be with other people to recharge their batteries and deal with stress. Often will go to public places, talk on the phone, if alone chatting on the
internet. There are a million posts about understanding Introverts and all of the misconceptions people have. There are very few about Extroverts, and let me tell you, there are a lot of them. Between school, a few articles, and personal experience I have put together a decent list.
Keep in mind, this doesn’t all apply to all extroverts, but generally most apply to most extroverts.
• Extroverts feel the effects of Depression more drastically than Introverts. (in general)Remember, Extroverts need people, so if someone who you know is an Extrovert is down, strike up a conversation, or ask them to talk about it. It will help them out. If you know an Extrovert is home alone or has a free night with nothing to do, see if you can make time to hang out.
• Having a full day open and no one to hang out with will increase stress and irritability.
• Extroverts need to talk or vent to someone when upset, stressed, or depressed. Otherwise it will get worse.
• Extroverts do like to have quiet time, but it can’t be just whenever. They need to control when and where.
• Don’t expect them to always be the life of the party or to always continue a conversation. That is a misconception.
• Labels such as Shallow, Needy, Clingy, or Self Centered usually are given to extroverts.
• Extroverts are also labeled as Bubbly or unintelligent because of their constant gab and the next one on the list…
• …“Often speak before they think” Usually because they don’t guard their thoughts or beliefs.
• Unexpected alone time can drastically change the attitude of an extrovert to the negative.
• Imagine the “annoying” person in class or meetings that talks way too much.. They are the Extrovert and usually can’t help it. Imagine how they feel though when they realize that they are doing it, then try to restrain themselves, which makes them feel even worse.
• An extrovert can burn out from too much socializing, but often cannot stop.
• Often an extrovert has a hard time not spending money, because spending money is tied to interaction with people. Some have a hard time saying no, even when they are completely broke.
• Extroverts often seem to be flirting or hitting on others, when in actuality, that’s just the way they are. This can cause issues with current relationships. Or misconceptions even by the people they are conversing with.
• People often assume that an Extrovert is always happy and isn’t allowed to be sad, of course, see above.
• Extroverts are always confident is not true, being outgoing is just natural and can easily be seen as confidence.
• Conversations happen and sometimes it will seem an Extrovert doesn’t care about what you have to say. This is not the case. Actually without your input the extrovert can fall into that “I’m the only one talking” phase and then stop the conversation abruptly (as stated above) then feel awkward as well as make the rest of the group feel awkward.
Wednesday, April 2, 2014
This year, there is almost none of that. The only thing that even remotely resembles a Wrestlemania moment is the chance for one Underdog Named Daniel Bryan to finally overcome all the odds and shut up the “Authority and win the most prestigious title in wrestling, The WWE World Heavyweight Championship. That encompasses two matches. Him vs. the one who has been holding him down HHH, then if he wins he gets to be put in a Triple Threat match against the Champion who he has been feuding with all year Randy Orton, and the returning out of breath and out of fans Batista. Batista was hyped to bring back and when he did he was boo’d out of the arena because of the fans love for Daniel Bryan.
That’s it folks. Even the Undertaker Streak vs. Brock Lesnar makes me skeptical. Don’t get me wrong, the Undertaker looks great, but the buildup is less than great, and knowing Brock Lesnar, that match likely won’t be that great either. I hope I am wrong, I hope it is everything I want it to be.
The Shield, I loved these guys from day one.. all three of them. Bad guys or good guys, and when they faced the Wyatt’s, it was nothing short of epic. That match alone could have made Wrestlemania History. Then when the shield is finally on the same page… they don’t utilize the feud. It dies. To me a TLC or some sort of Gimmick match with the Wyatt’s vs. The Shield would have been a huge Wrestlemania draw. Instead, they decided that they would make a lame team of Kane and the New age Outlaws. Then have them face the Shield. Why? I have no idea. If they wanted to do something with the Outlaws, it would have been keep the belts on them and have them have dropped the Tag Team Belts to the Uso’s at Wrestlemania. That would have been something for the fans to enjoy. Why they chose to do it on a regular show is beyond me. Have the Outlaws cheat and do every dirty trick against the Uso’s possible then have the Uso’s finally win at Wrestlemania. That would have been a great story.
When it comes to the Divas, a match that is ALL of the Divas in one match for the belt is really stupid to me. What is the point. While it’s cool to have all the Divas out showing their stuff, it them becomes less about the Divas as “sports entertainers” and more about them as “flesh and eye candy.” Which is fine to an extent. If they are going to have the show total Divas and want to showcase the Diva’s have a battle royal and then separate a Divas Championship match. I would vote Tamina Snuka vs. Aj Lee for the belt at Wrestlemania. But that is just me and how I would have built it up.
What to do with John Cena. At the beginning of Daniel Bryan and the Yes Movement halfway through the year, I would have had John Cena turn Heel on Daniel Bryan. John Cena is in need of an update, and turning heel is what is needed for that. Then he can help build up some of the great babyfaces in the company such as Dolph Ziggler. In fact having that be the build up would be great. Heel John Cena who keeps hosing over the new up comer Dolph Ziggler to a final match at Wrestlemania would be very entertaining.
What does that give us,
Tag Titles Match Uso’s Vs. new Age Outlaws
Divas Battle Royal
John Cena vs. Dolph Ziggler
Andre the Giant Inaugural Battle Royal
The Shield vs. The Wyatts TLC Match
Divas Title AJ Lee vs. Tamina Snuka
HHH vs Daniel Bryan
Brock vs. Undertaker
Triple Threat Orton vs. Bryan. Vs. Batista
Then add in the glitz and Glamor of live bands, Hall of Fame stuff and maybe Hulk Hogan smacking someone around who gets in his way, would make for a pretty Wrestlemania like Night. Perhaps Stephanie McMahon should hire me to do the booking.