Monday, March 26, 2012

Podcasting - And Bruce Campbell!

Podcasting. What is it? Imaging you want to host your own talk show, or radio show but don’t want to deal with the FAA, schooling, access, and not to mention want to reach limitless amounts of people. Yeah, that’s it. You record your show and post it online for everyone to enjoy when they want. Of course there is more to it than that. You the listener though only need to know where to go to get the shows you want and listen. Load them on your MP3 players, Smartphones, or that old thing we call a computer.

I myself first heard about podcasting through the Renaissance Festival Podcast. Where the hosts talk about what is going on in the world of renaissance festivals around the United States. It includes music from different performers. http://renaissancefestivalmusic.com/ They had done a special Pirate show for Talk Like A Pirate Day, and asked me to record a short blurb for their podcast. I did a couple of quick takes and off it was. Of course that wasn’t a real intro to podcasting for me, but it was a great idea and the show is a lot of fun for those who followed Renaissance Festivals.

Shortly after that however, a friend of mine came to me and asked me if I would be interested in being a special guest host once and a while to their podcast show. He informed me that there was an overhaul and some new shows based on gaming and all things pseudo geekery. Apparently the combination of my performing background, geekery background and DJing/Radio background gave me an edge in this whole podcasting business. I agreed to jump in on my first show and do my first “guest spot” on this new Podcast show called Kicked in the Dicebags. http://kickedinthedicebags.libsyn.com/ By the end of the shows recording I had felt a bond with the other hosts. I kind of fit right in and we planned for me to be a more permanent host, and I said I would volunteer to drop out if at any time we had too many people on a particular show.

The show was very fun and covered a long long range of topics. From my understanding there would be two groups for the podcast. A “Master’s” edition and a “Player’s” edition. A spoof on gaming where most roleplaying systems had a book called the “Player’s” Guide and a DMG(Dungeon “Master’s” Guide) And they would cover Master’s Topics and the Players Edition would cover Player’s topics. To the date of this Blog, there are 15 Masters Editions Podcasts to the 33 Players Edition Podcasts, not to mention the Players Edition Spinoff called the Side Project which we will talk about later. I myself have only ever listened to one Masters Edition podcast, and I enjoyed it, so I cannot say anything of the compare and contrast type. However I can say that there have been plenty of times that the Players Edition has covered Masters Edition topics. Since most of the Hosts in the Players Edition have and do currently Game Master. Also the Players Edition covers other topics such as Movies, Video Games, Board Games, Conventions and Bruce Campbell. Not to mention creating their own phrases such as the label of “Douche Bag Steve.”
My friend who asked me to join then came up with the idea to do a completely unrealated to anything with special (usually singular) Topics, that originally were intended to make people angry by pitting theories against each other and trying to engage arguments. I was all for pissing people off so we did it.. and boy did people get angry. Not at our arguments, but the fact that we even covered the subject. It was controversy and we thought it was hilarious. I myself was thinking of Andy Kaufman and how he Punk’d people all the time before Ashton K. had balls to drop.

Then the Kicked in the Dicebags show was rocked but something very unfortunate.. I had moved and no longer had internet to utilize Skype to record with them. Of course they trucked on.. and frankly I doubt anyone really noticed I was gone. Actually, I think Keith (one of the other hosts) was happy, because he was Jealous because I had indeed met, Bruce Campbell. At any rate, now after a long Hiatus and the purchase of a Smartphone I once again can use Skype, and have returned to Kicked in the Dice Bags with a NEW Side Project. So go check it out and if anyone out there is a fan… remember I am your Hero! And, the only thing that can withstand a Chuck Norris Roundhouse Kick, is the Chin of Bruce Campbell!!

No comments:

Post a Comment