Thursday, February 14, 2013

This I Believe - #2



I believe in myself. I believe in myself because I can. I believe in myself because I need too. I believe in myself even when I couldn’t. I believe in myself in spite of naysayers and doubters. Believing in myself isn’t about ignorance or arrogance. It’s not about patting myself on the back or trying to be better than anyone. It’s about my faith in myself no matter what the odds are, no matter what the circumstances are, no matter any situation. The moment I fail to believe in myself is the moment I might as well say “I believe I will fail.” Everyone needs to realize that the moment someone believes they are going to fail, is the moment that the odds no longer favor them.

I was that scrawny shy kid silently sitting in the corner of class. I had no faith in myself and all I did was complain about how much school sucked. I was a straight “D” student, and even though everyone told me how smart I was, and how they couldn’t understand why I was failing. Everyone else believed in me, but their faith in me changed absolutely nothing. I would just stay where I was. I didn’t need them to believe in me, what I needed was to believe in myself.

For the longest time I believed that those who were successful become confident. The truth is those who are confident become successful.  My success didn’t change until the end of high school when I started to believe in myself. I believed I could do better with my schoolwork, not only did I end my last year with straight “A’s” but I did it while doing sports, theater, and taking a ton of afterschool classes to make up for failed classes the years before. It wasn’t until years later and other similar events that I realized the connection.

The same happened with jobs, the same happened with my health, and to tell you the truth the same thing happened with my girlfriends. It was the girls that I was confident around; it was the girls that saw I believed in myself that I would end up dating. Those were the girls who were attracted to me. The truth was that believing in myself is what was attractive. It’s not just attractive from a dating perspective but from all social levels. Friends, family, business, even just people in general would start to sense that self belief, and they gravitate towards it like some sort of crazy aphrodisiac. When I believe in myself, I accomplish all of my dreams and goals. For example, I wanted to be a school dance DJ’s, and I did it, then I wanted to be a radio DJ, I did it, a professional wrestler, did it, perform in theater, did it, get paid to be a pirate, still doing it. The process repeats itself over and over again.

Here is a recent example, four years ago I returned to school. In one of my classes we worked on a project that was called “This I believe.” I believed in following your dreams. At the time my dream and goal was to prove that after being out of school for ten years, I could return as an adult student and do it while working full time. I believed in myself. Here we are four years later, and I am in my last semester at Century College. I am going to graduate as an honor student in Phi Theta Kappa, I earned an award for my E-folio, I am the first student to run their own student success day event, I will earn my Associate in Arts Degree, and Complete my Communications Certificate. None of this would have happened without believing in myself.  No matter what happens in your life, believe in yourself you can accomplish amazing things, this I believe.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. This is meant to be spoken in public, out loud. However I ahven't posted here in some time. So I thought it would be something nice to have on here. This is the second "This I Believe." As is told in this.

    ReplyDelete