Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Goodreads.... and a lil review of the Overworld Series

So, my wonderful girlfriend has introduced me to a little website called “goodreads.” The site allows you to list all of the books you have read, make a list of books you want to read and rate them. You can also make different “shelves” to categorize books however you want. It allows you to read reviews, have a friends list, and write up your own stuff too. I haven’t even touched the surface. I have a lot of friends who aren’t on here that are avid book readers. So I thought I would take this moment to suggest it. It also allows you to set yearly book goals. I myself will be aiming to double my last years HIGH of 7 books. I think I can hit 15 and have slowly found myself enjoying reading again.

I could be cheap and list graphic novels, and short stuff. But I think I am going to stick with actual real books. (not that graphic novels aren’t “real books”) ‘cause we all know I love me some graphic novels.
Anyhow, I am now trying to remember books that I have read from yesteryear and find myself completely forgetting them. I also am going to enjoy the recommendations section of the site, because it is just giving me a list of books similar to what I have rated, and isn’t saying “hey you should read this” which as many know usually tells my subconscious to avid that book at all costs.

Luckily for my goal, I am in an Honors - Mystery Literature class. So we will be reading a good handful of books. That should help me out, also there are at least 3 books that come out this year. Caine’s Law by Matthew Stover who is most known for his Star Wars Books, Hilarity Ensues and Sloppy Seconds: Tucker Max Leftovers both by Tucker Max. If you haven’t read anything by Tucker Max, be prepared to be offended in the worst ways and laugh till you realize what kind of a world we live in.

Caine’s Law is the fourth (possibly last) story in the Overworld Series. It’s hard to explain and sometimes complicated but the main character is the quintessential antihero. It is set in two worlds, a pseudo-futuristic world where people watch/experience things in this fantasy world through the eyes of people actually experiencing it. Then there is Overworld, where we have sent people (actors) to live in this world and do things for the entertainment of those watching at home. Yet the medieval people in Overworld have no clue. Insert Caine, he is one of the Actors, and the most famous and deadliest. The first story is a struggle between his life, the government that runs his job, his wife and a man with nearly godlike powers. In Overworld he is a badass assassin, when he comes back he is humbled by society, and how society more or less holds him hostage to do what they want. Great story, great characters and as the books progress the cooler stuff seems to go down. If you feel the need to add this series to your list.. the first book is called Heroes Die.




Now I can look at my friends lists to see what they have read and get them for myself without having to ask. There is also a website that is similar to this but for movies, but I forget its name. Anyhow TTYL. Enjoy the site – www.goodreads.com

No comments:

Post a Comment