Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Honors Mystery Literature

So, We have been currently reading E.A. Poe stories. Alot of people know Poe for his quirky creepy stories. Including me, until now. I had no idea that the likes of all modern detective stories started with Edgar Allen Poe. We have been assigned The Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Mystery of Marie Roget, and The Purloined Letter. These three stories while not the greatest it how they are done are still very great in establishing many things. today we went over many of the things that are very often repeated. As I ahve told friends, the character of Dupin is the sherlock Holmes before tehre was Sherlock Holmes. Very fun and fascinating and I myself am learning quite a bit. Which is great.

We also were assigned the Gold Bug and The Cask of Amontillado. Each of which were very different than the classic Detective story. However very much many mysteries in and of themselves. Unfortunatly we haven't even gotten half way through the discussion in class of the first series, so Apparently I am ahead of the schedule.

However this does not stop me from discussing it here. The Gold Bug for what may eventually seem obvious reasons was a favorite. If you want spoilers keep reading.
.
.
.
. Ok, so to fastforward it has to do with the treasure of Captain Kidd. Captain Kidd is where the fabled "pirate buried treasure" comes from. Long story short this short story that is not long has to do with a treasure map.. thus the spoiler, because you do not know at all that its a treasure map until long after the story has unfolded.

.
.
.

At any rate, I had thuroughly enjoyed it. but alas, This is just a short entry into my blog for you all to read. There has been no time to continue with my book I am writing, however you never know what is to come. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment