Wednesday, July 29, 2015

My Bird Story



Birds and wildlife have always been a part of my life. My mother raised me with her love for birds and gardening. I learned everything about attracting birds from her, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Finches of all kinds, Orioles, all birds we could get with the exception of the Eastern Bluebird. We lived all over Minnesota and Wisconsin wilderness and cities. She had a special attachment to the hummingbird. Her great grandmother Toolie always told her that after she passed she would send my mother hummingbirds when she needed them. Very often if my mom was having a hard day she would see a hummingbird, and remember that Toolie was with her. My mother was terminal and in her last months stated she would send me Hummingbirds to remind me she was with me when I needed her, Just like Toolie had promised her.

Last October she had passed away and this was the first year in our new home in St Paul that I was avidly bringing in birds; amazing all of our neighbors and my wife. However, I saw no hummingbirds all year. I attempted to attract all kinds of birds, and with all my efforts in the middle of the city, the one bird I had never seen growing up I wanted to bring into the yard was a Bluebird.  I somehow got a nesting pair that loved our yard and gardens. When the Bluebird eggs hatched and they all had fledged I was very sad to see them go, but had wished my mom could have known what I accomplished.

Many including my wife thought my bird hobby was cool, but they never got excited like I would. If only I could call my mom. She would have shared my excitement. I wanted her to see how I helped Bluebirds all find a home, hatch eggs, and grow up. I spent many hours checking the nest, watching for predators, and planning how and where I would put the nesting box so that they could live in peace with my other birds and nesters.

Two weeks after the fledglings left, I was delighted to see the adults and fledglings return to the yard in all of their glory. All 7 of them were bathing, plucking berries, and grabbing insects. Here I was so happy, but then so very sad I had no one to share my excitement and pride. Now they are all hatched, and I can’t tell my mom. As all of this passed my mind I emotionally hit the bottom. Just then as my eyes welled up, I glanced toward the line of bluebirds roosting on a telephone wire, and not 1 foot away from them I watched a single hummingbird land. I know it was my mom telling me she wanted me to know she was watching and she was happy for me and the Bluebirds. Grown men do cry, and I sure did right there.

Birds Are Still Messengers
Nick Sampson


No comments:

Post a Comment